Middelburg : Buildings

Click on photo to enlarge in new window

Reformed Church
Reformed Church, Middelburg Cape Colony (Oldest Reformed Church building in South Africa, a declared National Monument.
Synagogue
Synagogue, Middelburg Cape Colony
Dutch Reformed Church
Dutch Reformed Church, Middelburg Cape Colony, before middle block was built as extension to original building (1904)
Post Card
Post Card, Middelburg Cape Colony – 1892
M Stahl & Co
M Stahl & Co (Outfitters & General Merchants), Loop Street where Telkom building was erected.   On the left is the present building housing the ACVV office.
R J Herholdt
R J Herholdt – Painter / Schilder, Church Street, Middelburg Cape Colony
Cnr. Van der Walt / Roode Street
Cnr. Van der Walt / Roode Street.  House second on right, Magistrate’s house where Olive Schreiner was married.  On left is where Post Office is presently.
Cnr. Van der Walt / Van Reenen Street
Cnr. Van der Walt / Van Reenen Street, Magistrates house in which Olive Schreiner was married.  Photo taken by Gillings.
Cnr. Van der Walt / Van Reenen Street
Cnr. Van Reenen / Church Street, General Merchant Shop of MacKinnon.  Presently accommodating Public Library and Build-It.
Old Police Station
Old Police Station – Charge-office and other offices.
J P & V Gillings
J P & V Gillings, Watchmakers, Jewellers and Photographers.
Church Hall, Dutch Reformed Church
Church Hall, Dutch Reformed Church, later rented to Volkskas as a bank and eventually the Blood Bank before demolition.   1936 Chevrolet belonging to Mr Shorty Vorster on photo.
Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall, Middelburg Cape Colony.   On same plot where present Hall was built in 1952.
Standard Bank
Standard Bank, Cnr Market / Meintjies Streets.   On the left is the building of Mr Solomon Rissik (presently PDK) housing Union Café as well as hairdressing saloon.
Richmond Road
Richmond Road (previously known as Church Yard Street) photo taken from Town Hall on the left is dwelling of Sir Frederik de Waal (Richmond Road Number 20 later Mr David Wilcocks Vorster.
Merchants Du Toit and De Waal
Merchants Du Toit and De Waal (Sir Frederick de Waal and his father in law from Graaff-Reinet).  Building later became Pantheon Theatre, later Grand Theatre (Bioscope) Cnr Meintjies and Smid Streets.
Church Street
Church Street, Middelburg Cape Colony
Cnr Meintjies and Market Street
Cnr Meintjies and Market Street, Standard Bank
Aerial photo of Middelburg
Aerial photo of Middelburg. Note Power station chimney in background and J P & V Gillings building front on photo.